Adult Canine Health
Adult Canine Wellness Care
Your adult dog needs annual wellness care which generally includes:
- Annual nose-to-tail physical exam
- Evaluation of diet and any supplements you are using
- DHPP booster every 3 years
- Rabies booster every 3 years
- Lyme booster yearly
- Leptospirosis booster yearly
- For at risk dogs (boarding, dog park, doggy day care, show dogs): kennel cough vaccine and canine flu vaccine
- Fecal examination for instestinal parasites
- Heartworm and tick borne disease screen
- Parasite prevention program -fleas, ticks, heartworm, intestinal parasites
Your adult dog benefits from maintaining a healthy weight. We will check your pet's body condition at each visit. Maintaining a healthy weight decreases the risks and delays the onset of many diseases including cancer, arthritis, diabetes, heart and kidney disease. Helping your dog maintain his/her ideal weight will add not just years but healthier years to his/her life. Good quality food, treats in moderation, and daily exercise all contribute to ideal health.
Most dogs over 3 years of age have some degree of dental disease; toy breeds are more severely affected. See our dental health maintenance information to keep your pet's mouth healthy.
We recommend feeding a good quality commercial food that your pet enjoys and does well on. Iams, Purina, Waltham and Hills Science diets are all manufactured by companies that support independent nutritional research that benefits pets; there are also other good quality diets available. If you would like to prepare homemade food for your dog, a board certified Veterinary Nutritionist can do this for you; we are happy to provide a referral.
If you have any questions or concerns about your dog's health our staff is available to help you.